Acinetobacter baumannii is a nonfermentative and nonmotile, Gram-negative coccobacillus, which is the most often identified pathogen among Acinetobacter species that causes wide range of infection in humans. It has emerged as one of the most troublesome pathogens for health care institutions globally. Acinetobacter baumannii strains resistant [multidrug-resistant A. baumannii (MDR-Ab)] to all known antibiotics have now been reported.
To determine the prevalence and antimicrobial susceptibility pattern of A. baumannii isolates in the clinical samples obtained from patients admitted in various wards and intensive care units (ICUs).
Materials and methods
A total of 9,540 clinical specimens [from the patients of inpatient department (IPD)] were collected between March 2016 and February 2017 from various wards and ICUs of Mahatma Gandhi Hospital (MGH), Sitapura, Jaipur, Rajasthan, India. All tests were done at microbiology lab of Mahatma Gandhi University of Medical Sciences & Technology, Jaipur, Rajasthan, India, using standard protocol.
Of 9,540 (45%) clinical specimens, 4,293 specimens from various wards and ICUs were culture positive. Out of 4,293 positive cultures, Acinetobacter isolates were 276 (6.42%). From 276 Acinetobacter isolates, 230 (83.33%) strains were confirmed as A. baumannii strains and remaining 46 (16.67%) strains as other Acinetobacter species. Maximum frequency of Acinetobacter isolates was from respiratory tract intubated patients (endotracheal samples: 59.5%). Maximum frequency of A. baumannii isolates was recovered from ICUs (63.04%) compared with wards. In our study, most Acinetobacter isolates were resistant (80–99%) to third- and fourth-generation cephalosporins, quinolones, penicillins, aminoglycosides, carbapenems, and macrolides. Drugs of choices are colistin (99.13%), tigecycline (67.83%), cefoperazone/sulbactam (44.78%), minocycline (40.87%), ampicillin + sulbactam (36.09%), doxycycline hydrochloride (10.43%), and cotrimoxazole (9.57%).
Acinetobacter species is an emergent and global hospital-acquired pathogen. Drug resistance pattern of A. baumannii is quite alarming in our health care settings, so effective infection control practices and judicious use of antibiotics is mandatory.
How to cite this article
Sharma RK, Mamoria VP. A Prospective Study on Prevalence and Antibiotic Susceptibility Pattern of Acinetobacter baumannii in Clinical Samples obtained from Patients admitted in Various Wards and Intensive Care Units. J Mahatma Gandhi Univ Med Sci Tech 2017;2(3):122-127.